Thursday, January 10, 2013

Jean posts some photos from some experimenting she did concerning The Bead Soup Bead Store challenge on Facebook via Kalmbach, back from last Fall

Kalmbach had a bead store party in celebration of the publication of  superstar  Lori Anderson's Bead Soup  book!
This was held back this past fall, I believe. I had the honor of participating in it, but  for some reason I was unable to use my fantastic components which I was sent as a part of the challenge by the charming bead shop, Beads Mosaic, in Nanuet, NY in a timely fashion! This is very unlike me. I am very apologetic about it.

However,
I pressed forward and finally got the opportunity to make my piece for them!  I am going to show it now, here, for the first time!

The most fun for me was that I decided to try a few different things. One was gilders paste. I have never used it before! I love it. If I had this to do over, I would moisten the  Blue Iris color guilders paste using the solvent suggested. That would make the butterfly come up way more brilliant and a LOT of the rest of the piece really scintillate, as I had wanted, but this was my first try. I was also repurposing vintage beads and gluing and wiring.
Whether or not it came out perfect, I jumped a hurdle when I made this piece. I haven't made any jewelry for a long time. In fact, I have never had artist's block in my life! I would have to say this was fairly close to artist's block, only because it was me, it was more like, "Jean what are you THINKING??? block".  For some reason this was akin to the time I had to read Moby Dick and postponed it until the last minute, when I was in boarding school. Do not do that if you are going to have your senior English final exam on it.

Back to the point:

Essentially, I wanted to do something really different with these lovely copper pieces.
WELL, LOVE IT OR HATE IT, I SURE DID THAT!!! :)
Thank you SO much, Kalmbach, and Beads Mosaic, for this wonderful opportunity. I want to add that it took at least twice as long as my regular creations. I was really into it!
Once, a friend of mine, when I asked her, "How do you know if you are in an unsafe situation when you are using glue?"  responded, "You know it is unsafe when you begin having WAY too much fun with your project".
Words to live by, people, by my dear friend Cathy Lybarger who knows EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING! 

So without further ado, here is my design, which I had a ball with: " The Dragonfly Chatelaine"

My usual terrible photos! Sorry!
This piece used everything the store sent me, namely the dragonfly, and little butterfly, earring links and a clasp , except two fabric crimps, all in copper.
IMG_1701Dragonfly chalelaine B
I first used gilders paste in Iris blue and in African gold/bronze.
I finished the pieces with a spray after applying the gilders paste and let them dry.
The next day I took vintage chatons and flatbacks, along with all sorts of other beads. I glued and wire wrapped them to the dragonfly.
I glued the butterfly to the dragonfly as an accent piece, after removing the little dangle hole on it.
IMG_1716Dragonfly chateleaine A copy
 
I devised a way of using sterling chain (oxidized) with the clasp, but added a cone in copper to the dragonfly filled with beads and copper chain. The copper chain leads to a silk ribbon edged with gold thread, with a crystal briolette dangle wire wrapped to it. It is a pin.
When one wears the necklace, the pin drapes to the side. That is why this is called
The Dragonfly Chatelaine Set.
The earrings use sequins as bead caps (I also used sequins to edge the dragonfly), vintage beads, pearls, and dichroic accent beads as well as the links which the delightful store, Beads Mosaic in Nanuet NY, sent me for this challenge.
One photo has a Corot reproduction as the background; one close up has one of my own medieval drawings as the background. I was 13 and liked to use pen and ink.
IMG_1735closeup save jean yates 
With this design, I was going for an old world look.
Best wishes,
jean

2 comments:

Wedding Bands Houston said...

The earrings use sequins as bead caps (I also used sequins to edge the dragonfly), vintage beads, pearls, and dichroic accent beads as well as the links which the delightful store, Beads Mosaic in Nanuet NY, sent me for this challenge. Such a really very beautiful rings and jewelry.

Cyndi L said...

As a total sucker for anything with dragonflies, my reaction is...NIIIIIIIIICE!! :-)