Sunday, August 30, 2015

Ten Things of Thankful

TEN THINGS OF THANKFUL

This past week has been an odd one.
By this I mean I have been experiencing some highs and lows, some good things and bad things. Most of these things have come from external sources, doctor.
Some things have amused me and and some things have made me cry, whether in frustration or fear.

So far this has been a week of work on a variety of fronts, and a week where I was forced to experience, accept and own my feelings and reactions.

I have held off even trying to be thankful for this week until now because I was allowing myself some time to gain perspective on a lot of flying crap. I finally got a bead on what was good about this week just in time to write a post for Ten Things of Thankful. After all, if you can't think of ten things to be thankful for, then...something something something <--add your own finishing words. You understand what I mean.

1) I am thankful for social media. That is right, I am thankful for it! I am not going to bash it this week!
I have found consolation in social media in small doses. For example, I am grateful people liked my fairly blurry photo of this spider.



2) I researched the Native American spirit animal, Spider, and got some kick ass insight into how cool spiders are.
There is a wonderful quality spiders possess which makes the joy everyone gets out of the children's book, Charlotte'sWeb ,


that much more understandable. E.B. White was onto something there!
Lovely book.

3) I am thankful that the film "Legally Blonde" was on last night and I could watch part of it as I was doing stuff. I have always loved "Legally Blonde". I have one son who went to law school. When he was applying, I advised him, in all seriousness, to watch "Legally Blonde" and to study what makes an application to law school successful, I was particularly compelled to persuade him to do this because of Elle Woods' video she made for Harvard Law School. This (and her LSATS ) clinched her acceptance, remember?


I don't know if he did ever watch it, but I thought it was my duty as his mother to help him get the ball rolling on a really compelling application. Now I would like to take credit for his entire, amazing and phenomenal career as an attorney ever since. He is a terrific lawyer.

4) Speaking of him, I am thankful of all my kids. I have only ever gotten complete joy from being their mother. Thank you, kids

5) I am thankful for Tofu, breaded and then baked in Marinara sauce. Don't knock it until you have tried it.

6) I am thankful for synchronicity. I know it is OK to say that within this group as we have discussed it before. I do believe in it. I have had some great consolation from  synchronicity this week. It included seeing The Lawrence Welk show (yes they still replay it and it is still cringeworthy, but my Dad adored it. He would call me at 5 PM every Saturday and cheerfully announce to me that it was on. He would try to get me to watch it and never gave up. Thanks Dad, I have my own terrible taste in music ), SpongeBob, Yale University, and a bunch of other stuff. All of which is meaningful to me. All of it rolling neatly into place, perhaps to remind me I am not alone here in the Universe.

&) I am thankful I still am not perfect. This ampersand just proved it once again, as if I needed more proof.

"Lucky number ampersand".

*) sh**t!  OK, thankful! thanks !!!

)9  .

10) I am thankful for sleep when the day is over. I am thankful for the new day and interesting new developments on the accuweather front when the new day dawns.


















I had no idea if I would be able to do this or not this week. Once again, I find that is really worth doing as it encourages me to see the positive. Try it.
Here are your hosts for this honest and uplifting blog hop:
--jean

is your aim true?

14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If that was really the weather forecast, I'd hit the liquor store before buying the boat.
Sorry it's been a week of crap. Sometimes we have to pause and gain a little perspective on what really matters.
And that's a cool shot of a web weaver.

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Thanks, Alex! I have learned and forgotten the Latin name for the spider already but it is also known as a Garden Spider I think.
jean

Unknown said...

I think you are right that it is a Garden Spider. I think they are the ones with the unusual web - they have a heavy zig zagging line running through.

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Yes, and thank you, Vanessa! I really like them. From what I read, they also build their webs high enough so a rabbit can run under and not get stuck in the web. They are very thoughtful spiders! :)

jean

Unknown said...

Great insight and I love when humor is added in:)

Joan Tucker said...

Jean, I am thankful you are about and writing for us ( and you) again. Following some one on Facebook gets you hooked on them and lost when they vanish. I truly hope in the next weeks you have tons to be grateful for. jt

Corinne Rodrigues said...

Can I confess I grew up with Lawrence Welk too?
Loved your spider pictures and glad to connect via TTOT!

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Thank you Kim. I love humor too! :)
jean

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Dear Joan,
Great to see you. I am here. I just had to take care of a few things on the homefront, and now I feel released. I am very grateful for friends like you!
love, Jean

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Dear Corrinne...you had Lawrence Welk at your house as well! We have a true BOND!
So nice to know! :)

jean

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jean!!!
OK, tofu...I'm really trying to get myself to a place where I can actually try it again and like it. Never been a fan, honestly. I've made a deal with miss Lizzi Considerer that we'll both try it - hopefully we both will get up the nerve!
Love Legally Blonde - always makes me laugh. I love that you told your son to study up with that. :D
Have a great week! Good to see you!

Clark Farley said...

After all, if you can't think of ten things to be thankful for, then...something something something <--add your own finishing words

please, allow me to retort* an acceptable answer is, a) use items of hypo-gratitude or 2) Consult the Book of Secret Rules (aka the Secret Book of Rules)

good to 'see' you…. loved the clip (and enjoyed the movies)

*Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction

Kristi said...

Your #10 reminded me of this video sketch: https://youtu.be/zbHW1T7boSc

Unknown said...

That spider is both beautiful and terrifying. Reese Witherspoon, however, is just beautiful. :)