Tuesday, October 27, 2015

A Halloween necklace

I have loved beads for years. More than I love designing, I have loved collecting great beads.

My lamp work "pearls" by Kim Miles are graduated and strung on a green silk ribbon by her.
They are standalone beads, with charm and impact. They really don't need  a thing to accent them. That is the way I normally wear them. 
However, I have this focal I love too, which I bought ages ago. The focal is from someone whose name I can't  remember. I found her by reading about her on Art Bead Scene, which had written a whole piece on her and her witchy looking beads. I fell in love with her work and was able to get one of her beads. If you know her name, please let me know! Thanks!
At any rate I have always wanted to see what these two pieces would look like when put together. I will take them apart again after Halloween. They are not quite right for each other. The moss colored pearl beads have spacers made of silver, which I chose not to change. The focal is wired very nicely with gold-filled wire. Again, I chose not to take it apart. 
I really wanted to see these together though, for fun. 
I think they look cute together! The witchy face on the focal actually doesn't seem too terribly dreary to me. I like that style. The pumpkin next to her and her cool witch house in the background are very nicely done, too. Raised on Charles Addams cartoons, I feel a kinship with all things odd. All my drawings as a child included Addams' lamps complete with cobwebs and spider pull chains. I thought Morticia was beautiful, and I hoped I would look like her when I grew up!


Halloween is coming soon. I love it. I love the way all the holidays seem to race in, all at once, first heralded by scary, spooky All Hallow's Eve. 
--jean 


4 comments:

Kim Miles said...

I'm so glad you have these! And I LOVE the focal!!!

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

It is fun, isn't it? Yes, your pearls are outstanding and among my fave jewels!!! xox jean

baymoondesign said...

Perfect for you!

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Kathy, I will be wearing it out, today! Thanks! xox jean :)